2015年4月6日星期一

Response to Cinderella and Feminism

When I was a little girl, my major reading material was fairy tale. Not only me, almost every children will start their reading of fairy tale with cute pictures. However, I did not connect these fairy tales to feminism then. I accepted the figure of man and woman naturally as my first rough gender identification. “Cinderella is the perfect example of a beautiful, quiet, nurturing, and subordinate woman that girls relate to.” The image of Cinderella prompts the exception of female and male; Girl will form a kind of subconscious mind that limit herself to become a Cinderella type girl while boy will dream to marry a girl with good qualities like Cinderella. These two consciousness may not exist very long, but do have a huge influence to children as their first rough gender identification. Just as writer wrote in article, “little girls who identify with Cinderella will wait for their prince charming to fulfill their life and accept subordination and domesticity as their nature role.”

没有评论:

发表评论